FAM causing "device or resource busy" errors when trying to smbumount

when I have an smb share mounted on a directory in my home directory, it
refuses to unmount.

This is new, it used to work without a problem. Perhaps something changed in
the later releases of Sarge? (I apt-get dist-upgrade all the time)

I used lsof and found the process that was holding the mount-point directory
up, which was

/usr/sbin/famd -T 0

I shut down fam with #/etc/init.d/fam stop and I could then umount the share
cleanly.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks,

rich