Re: Raid Software
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Andrea Marin wrote:
> I Would like to setup a system raid1 on my Debian 3.0 but I don't found
> a good HOTO or GUIDE that explain me this.
"good howto" ... pick one of 5 or 10 of um to get all the answers
you're looking for ... ( it's NOT in one howto )
> Can someone say me where I can find a guide or what I must do for
> implement a system raid1 in my new server?
most all the sw raid howto's including obsolete ones
in minimal steps
- connect your raid setup as /dev/hda and /dev/hdc
- make sure each partition is "FD" type
- boot a standalone system that supports raid installs
- configure your /etc/raid.conf file correctly
- format with reiserfs or your fav fs ...
- install your fav distro
- configure your /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst correctly
- reboot ...
- to test ..
- unplug /dev/hda
- reboot and it should still boot off /dev/hdc
- write a new 1GB file to the remaining disk and reboot
- restore /dev/hdc and reboot and see that it automatically
sync's the new file to the restored disk /dev/hda
- repeat ( reboot w/o /dev/hdc ) ...
- if you have to touch the raid configs or touch the keyboard
to change your raid config ... it's NOT configured properly