Re: Is Linux Unix?

Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<2lYSZ-1Kf-27@gated-at.bofh.it>...

[. . .]
>    it's [1]. debian has very slow release cycles, but unstable is much
> better quality than you'd expect from name. In general I see unstable
> being equal to latest releases of other distros (both features and
> stability) while stable is extremely (the kind you need for servers) but
> does not have all the latest features.

Thanks for the answer.   Does that mean that *ordinary* users should use the
unstable and that the stable should be used only by those who want extremely
stable mission-critical servers?  By an "ordianry" user, I mean somebody like this:
She can become a root and shut down or restart her Debian work station; she can
use apt-cache and apt-get to install packages but is not sure how to configure
/etc/apt/source.list; When she wants an application which needs to be build from
source, she asks thesysadmin to do that; she's never looked into /var/log; etc.
I think an "ordianry" Windows user is like this.  Most of the Linux/Unix users
around me are like this.  (Please don't say they should use Windows if they can't
admin their Unixes :-) They seem to be happy with the situaltion and they are
certainly productive in their own field.)

> >>   I don't see how this is different in windows or redhat or anything
> >>else.
[. . .]
> > But, vendors don't sell Windows software that doesn't work on
> > the current version of Windows XP.   Perhaps, in your perception,
>
>    of course they do, do you remember example of game I bought and
> couldn't make it work on win xp pro while it was running fine on win98
> (that was few month ago, win xp was out for quite some time) [the game
> is RC Cars published by Whiptail Interactive, developed by Creat Studio,
> relese date 12/11/2003]

Um, I didn't think of that possibility :-)   Weren't we talking about situations
where the target OS of the software is too new?  The Intel compiler doesn't
run correctly on my workstation because the stable Debian is too old.
That was the begining of this subthread.  I don't think Vendors sell software
which runs only on a preview (beta) version of Windows.  And I *thought*
(but you pointed out that I was wrong) that the unstable Debian roughly
 corresponded to a beta version of the OS.

Ryo