Re: Cups can't start with error 98

CW Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com> said on Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:56:44 -0600:
> I believe I'm starting to know more about CUPS than I really want to.
> If the following solves your problem, we both need to RTFM better ;-)
>
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:09:56PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> [...]
> > Nothing interesting, but I did notice one more line of output that I
> > didn't before:
> >
> > I [27/Jul/2004:12:04:46 +1000] Listening to 0:631
> > I [27/Jul/2004:12:04:46 +1000] Listening to c0a80102:631
>
> I believe this is a configuration error in your cupsd.conf
> I can replicate this error with the following:
> 	Port 631
> 	Listen 192.168.1.2:631
>
> I think the Port directive binds to *any* address on 631.  The second
> directive tries to bind 192.168.1.2 on port 631, but that is already
> taken with the *any* address on 631.  So I *think* you can either let it
> bind to *any* address and not have a listen directive.  Or remove the
> port directive and list the address/ports you want it to listen on (you
> may need to allow it to listen on 127.0.0.1)

Aha. I wonder when that LISTEN line crept in? Cups was working at some
point in time, then I went and screwed it. :)

Thanks.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any Use of This Product, in Any Manner
Whatsoever, Will Increase the Amount of Disorder in the Universe. Although No
Liability Is Implied Herein, the Consumer Is Warned That This Process Will
Ultimately Lead to the Heat Death of the Universe.