Re: Cups can't start with error 98

I don't see any answers so I'll try (not really good with CUPS though):

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 05:52:29PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> I haven't used cups in a while, and tried to today. It fails at
> startup, with error code 98:
> E [24/Jul/2004:17:39:06 +1000] StartListening: Unable to bind socket for address c0a80102:631 - Address already in use.
>
> c0a80102==192.168.1.2==the box I am trying to start cups from
>
> That was fair enough the first time, because somehow lpr was installed
> at the same time, so I stop and removed it. The error stays, and I
> have done a netstat -au, and found nothing is bound to port 631. lsof

What about tcp (netstat -at)?

> agrees with me. There is no lp* or cups* processes running.
>
> I googled, and found that someone found a problem with nfs taking the
> port randomly, so I stopped the nfs processes.

A quick look and I don't see a similar bug (1 unreproducible from a year
ago is all).  Any more info if you set LogLevel to "debug" in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf?

> I waited 5 minutes, because I rememeber something about the kernel
> sometimes keeping ports open for a little while despite the exit of
> the owner process.
>
> I partially upgraded sid - so now cups* and libcupsys are up to date.

Sorry, I don't have any current experience with sid.

> I really can't work out why I keep getting this message.
>
> And ideas?
>
> --
> TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
> My cats are forbidden from walking on my computer keyboard on the desk
> when I'm asdfjjhhkl;ljfd.;oier' puyykmm4hbdm9lo9j USING IT.
Just like a cat. :->

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.