Re: bittorent on dialup

On 27. July 2004 at 5:19AM +1000,
bob parker <bob_parker@ozonline.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:30, Katipo wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > >You will never finish the download.  Your connection is too
> > >slow.
> >
> > I understand that bittornado is better than torrent?  So
> > these apps provide no advantage over conventional dial-up
> > download speeds?  Thanks for any advice.
>
> The advantage of bittorent is that it takes the load off the
> server. The only way it might help the downloader is by
> potentially keeping the d/l speed up to the full capability of
> the connection rather than being throttled by a busy
> server.

But what's its disadvantage to the dialup user?  The documents
I've read all indicate that some uploading will be done by the
bittorrent client.  How does the uploading affect the download
speed?  What's the upload to download ratio for dialup users?

> But every last byte of the original file still must be
> funnelled through the dialup modem or whatever. Never heard of
> tornado but it sounds like it is a similar method.

There's a package called "bittornado", described as a "bittorrent
client with enhanced curses interface."