Re: Locked out of system

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 03:42:32PM -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> I changed fstab to mount another drive automatically. I messed up the
> entry. Now the system boots to management level ((none) prompt)  and makes
> the hard drive partitions read only.

You can remount partitions as read-write by passing mount "-o remount,rw"
along with the mountpoint, filesystem, and device.

> There is no text editor available to edit fstab - assuming that I can write
> to the file. How do I get out of this mess.

If there is no editor in /bin and you don't want to go the "cat >
/etc/fstab" route, you can always create a good fstab on another system
and floppy it onto your box.  Another way you could go about it is with
a rescue disk of some kind.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com