Re: Is Linux Unix?

On 2004-07-26, Simon Kitching <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 20:01, John Summerfield wrote:

>> fruitless task, but I do recall that democracies don't provide efficient
>> governance.
>
> They do in the long term. Name a system of government that has been more
> efficient than democracy over a 100 year period. The most significant

Well, the Maya and their neighbours did a pretty good 1500-year job. Also
ancient Europe. The African empires lasted quite a long time, as did
ancient China. Liberal Democracy is too young to judge yet.

Also, as you note yourself, there is no direct democracy anywhere in the
world, so we don't really know. Aristotle warned specifically about
democracy, because it (according to him) inevitably leads to anarchy, from
which the polis can only be saved by a tyrant, which is not very good
either. :)

--
Juha Siltala
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/