Re: Debian install breaks on 'Configuring Locales'

> Now I find it easier to restore a minimal verion ow Windows from a
> Linux-made
> backup rather than reinstall after a major Windows-doesn't-boot-anymore
> grade disaster. (happens every few months).  Everyone using this system
> has been warned to avoid putting any essential data on the C: partition.
> Not that that's entirely avoidable.

I use Novastor's "Instant Recovery" to back up my Gatesware system to
CD-ROM.
Guess what it does... (you're gonna love this): it shuts down Windows,
boots
a very minimal Linux system off the Instant Recovery CD-ROM, and then
writes
the entire contents of your Windoze disk partition (whatever one you
choose)
to CD-ROMs.  That way you can restore the exact disk image, including
the
infernal "Registry" and whatever other fragile and unpredictable "system
states" (which you can't do from a running Windoze system, of curse).

I capture a new image of the C: partition that way every so often, so
I'll
have a system in a reasonably current state of installation to fall back
on
if I get a complete crash.  (As an interesting side-note, Novastor had
this
Linux-based backup system talking to my CD writer *long* before they
were
able to get their regular Windows-based backup system to talk to it...
took
them almost another year to get the Windows drivers to work).

BUt...

> My conclusion?  I consider Linux an essential maintenance tool
> if you are going to run Windows.

you've got a really interesting point...  my Windoze drives are mounted
as VFAT partitions and visible from within my Linux system, so I should
be able to dispense with "Insatant Recovery" and just run tape backups
on
the VFAT partitions.  Hmmm...  Actually...  I could just mirror the VFAT
partitions somewhere onto my Linux drive...  then I could just *copy*
the stuff back over to the Windoze drive if it goes T.U.    (Thanks...
I think I'll get right on that.)

My intention, ultimately, is to entrap the Gatesware within VMware under
Linux,
anyway...  but I'm wondering if installation of new Windoze apps from
within
a VMware workspace will work or if I'll have to actually boot on the
Gatesware
drive to do that. I guess I'll find out -