Re: Debian install breaks on 'Configuring Locales'

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:35:22PM -0700, listcomm@ml1.net wrote:

> You want something FREE to work, out of a "box" it didn't come in, when
> expensive Gatesware that you PAY for, in a fancy-pants
> marketing-droid-designed
> box with a hologram on it, DOESN'T work??  *WHERE* did you get
> the DRUGS???

I've had the joy of installing Windows ME and Linux several times on the
same machine.
I have always managed to get the Linux install to work.
I have had lots of trouble with Windows ME.  In fact, the only way I managed
was to set up a dual boot system.  Then I used Linux to back up Windows
frequently during its installation, so that whe the installation crashes
I did not need to go all the way back to the start.  Every time Windows
asked me to reboot to continue installation, I had an opportunity to
make another backup.

Without Linux, I would have had a much harder time of it all.  As it was,
complete install of Windows (with all the net configurations, printer
software, ATI video drivers, etc.) took only a week.

Now I find it easier to restore a minimal verion ow Windows from a Linux-made
backup rather than reinstall after a major Windows-doesn't-boot-anymore
grade disaster. (happens every few months).  Everyone using this system
has been warned to avoid putting any essential data on the C: partition.
Not that that's entirely avoidable.

My conclusion?  I consider Linux an essential maintenance tool
if you are going to run Windows.

-- hendrik