Re: Debian install breaks on 'Configuring Locales'

This probably isn't proper form, kosher or even cool... but... It's a quick way around the problem.

Hit control-c at the screen, run dselect with ftp as the method {set it in the first dselect screen} and update the system. Alternately, restart the machine, hope it comes back up and do the upgrade from there.

It may break your system {tho' it's already broken} but it does work {usually... I'm not making guarantees.}. If the upgrade will work it's a good chance everything will go fine from there on out.

I always install the base system with apt-get {dselect, whatever ...You can set up the base system and then just run apt-get update then apt-get upgrade {see the screen for options}} and use the disks for additional packages. Use disk 1 for the base install, upgrade to the latest from the 'net and then start installing applications and so forth. Do it slowly, a package or two at a time, and you should be fine.

> But it breaks each time at 'Configuring Locales'. You can select more
> locales, but the 'Enter' key will not give an 'accept' - it just sits there.
> No key on the keyboard will 'accept', and get me past this.
> In fact, after it breaks on the first cycle, the 'Enter' key brings up the
> 'Help' menu.

> This is using disk 1 - the 'vanilla' kernel. I tried it with bf24 to
> see if that helps - it didn't.
>
> Can't I get a stock version of Linux to run 'out of the box', with decent
> speed? I'm not asking a lot, Web access, email, and a functioning floppy
> drive...

 It should be easy and speed should be your least concern. What are you running? What are you installing?

> Further, the Debian install doc, which was lovingly detailed up to Chapter
> 8, breaks down and does not deal with several of the screen options
> presented during setup. Including, of course, the 'Configuring Locales'
> option, or any way of avoiding it.
>
> Can I scream now, or must I wait?

 I'd suggest a little more patience. Debian's a perfectly good system... Make sure you select debconf in the dselect screen..

This message has been brought to you in part by a grant from Columba.