Re: some kind kiosk system

Am Sa, den 24.07.2004 schrieb Carl Fink um 2:28:
> You're probably better off sticking to the list instead of private mail.
> Taking conversations private is often considered impolite, and in any case
> I'm not an expert.

that was my intention, i just didn't look at the reply address, sorry.
(i already wondered why my mail was not showing up on the list :-o )

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:25:43PM +0200, chymian wrote:
>
> > how to and what to install instead of X as a custom menu system. any
> > hints?
>
> Not instead of X, intead of the window manager.  Thinking about it, a
> customized wm, say icewm or fluxbox with the menu customized to not allow
> any programs you don't like, would work just fine and be less work.

thanks for the answer

a minute ago, I found out that KDE has a build in kiosk-framework.

taken from http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/
Kiosk

The Kiosk
(http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/kdecore/README.kiosk?rev=KDE_3_2_BRANCH&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup)
framework provides a set of features that makes it possible to restrict
the capabilities of the KDE environment. Although primarily designed for
unattended operation of kiosk terminals, these features can also be very
valuable in enterprise settings where a more controlled environment is
desired.

A mailing list is available for people questions regarding the Kiosk
framework, you can subscribe to the list here: kde-kiosk list
(http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-kiosk).

For KDE 3.2.2 and later, the KIOSK Admin Tool
(http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kiosktool.php) can be used to manage
kiosk settings.

cheers
guenter