Re: some kind kiosk system

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:48:52AM +0300, Justinas wrote:

> 	There is an computer game club with 49 computers running linux. I
> 	would be glad to hear any suggestions how to build entirely system
> 	that forbids users to execute any other programs or scripts, only
> 	games, browsers and some office programs. The main aim of this, to
> 	keep computer out of trash and make administrators life easer. Could
> 	somebody share experience on some kind computer kiosk systems. Any
> 	suggestions, critics are acceptable.

Instead of an X Window System window manager, use a custom menu system that
only lets people run a pre-set list of programs.  Disable the Virtual
Terminals (fiddle with Getty?) so people can't get to a command line that
way.  Modify inittab so people can't reboot without the root password.

Use a journaling file system, so you can reboot off a floppy or CD when you
actually need to install something.

More technically elegant:  run the systems off a non-modifiable file system,
e.g. a bootable CD.

Also elegant:  netboot the systems off a network share.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading