Re: question about patching my kernel

Hello

(please don't top post, and please wrap at your lines at 70-76
characters)

Paul Akkermans (<paulakkermans@wanadoo.nl>) wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Paul Akkermans wrote:
>>>
>>> Last week I installed my debian system with a cd-rom I got from a
>>> friend. When I was installing Debian I saw that the kernel which was
>>> included on the cd-rom was version 2.22. From the website
>>> www.kernel.org I saw that version (the stable version) 2.6.7 is
>>> available. But the problem is that I have no idea how to upgrade my
>>> kernel. Can somebody tell me what steps I have to take to patch my
>>> kernel?
>>
>> 2.22 isn't very likely.
>> At a commandline, enter these commands and post the results:
>> uname -a
>> cat /etc/debian_version
>>
>> This will tell folk here which kernel and version of Debian you have.
>>
>> You might also explain to us what your kernel does not do that you
>> expect 2.6.7 to do. It's quite possible that your system won't work
>> if you don't go about upgrading your kernel properly, and for most
>> people, whatever the distro, a kernel from kernel.org is probably a
>> mistake.
>> [...]
>>
> uname -a
> Linux debian 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002 i686
> unknown
>
> cat /etc/debian_version
> 3.0

You used the standard installation kernel. Debian Woody also includes
2.4.18, e.g. kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686. You can get newer versions
including kernel 2.6 from backports.org. However if you want to use 2.6
on Woody you need to upgrade quite a lot of core programs because the
ones in Woody don't work with kernel 2.6 properly or can't use all of
its features. If you want a newer one, I would use 2.4.18-1 from
security.debian.org, of a newer 2.4 version from backports.org. For
details on how to use them, read the explanations on backports.org, and
take a look at the list archive at lists.debian.org or
groups.google.com (group linux.debian.user).

best regards
        Andreas janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976