Re: Building 2.6.x kernel

> I have now built a 2.6.6 and a 2.6.7 using make_kpkg. Both have
> apparently installed OK but panicked because they couldn't mount my
> root partition.
>
> Said partition is an ext3 created during a stock sarge install. The
> original 2.4.25 and an installed 2.6.6-1.k7 kernel have no problems.

Just a guess, since I'm not building a 2.6 kernel, but...  I just went through
this yesterday with a 2.4 kernel I had to patch.  I started with Debian's
config, make-kpkg yadda yadda, kernel panic.  The stock config builds
everything in the world as modules.  It requires an initrd or some config
tweaking to boot.  Since twiddling everything necessary to get up and going
without an initrd can be time-consuming, I opted to just make-kpkg --initrd
yadda yadda and go that route.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/