Re: sarge gnome does not show anything after login on fresh installs

John Smith wrote:

To all those other s*ckers, like me, who install, like me, sarge as from today from scratch with gdm version 2.4.4.7-3.

Symptoms: gnome does not display anything after logging in through gdm-login except for a blue screen and a mouse pointer.

This is a hint about what is wrong:

It does not start gnome-session

Workaround:
edit your /etc/dm/Sessions/default.desktop
modify "Exec=default" to "Exec=custom"

Save the attached file (from an earlier release) in your ~/.xsession chmod +x ~/.xsession
/etc/init.d/gdm restart

Couple of other things as well:
It fails to set gdm as the default window manager
update-alternatives --show x-window-manager

YMMV, DNTTAHK, etc.

Or, install wdm instead.

Regards,

David.