Re: Building 2.6.x kernel

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:32:05AM -0700, dbarker@turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca wrote:
> Maybe my last message went astray.
>
> Has anyone had any success using a 2.6.[67] kernel built themselves?

Yes, several of them (2.6.8-rc2 currently). All using
make-kpkg --revision <date> kernel-image
Note though that for some reason make-kpkg no longer runs clean first
and will not rebuild a modified configuration, just reinstall into the
package. If you change configuration and need to recompile you need to
either run make-kpkg clean or run make and then run make-kpkg again
after the new parts have been built.

> I have now built a 2.6.6 and a 2.6.7 using make_kpkg. Both have
> apparently installed OK but panicked because they couldn't mount my
> root partition.

You need to compile the file system for you root partition into the
kernel and not as a module if you are not using initrd (which the stock
kernels do).

> Said partition is an ext3 created during a stock sarge install. The
> original 2.4.25 and an installed 2.6.6-1.k7 kernel have no problems.

Make sure that ext3 support is compiled in and not as a module.

> Also, I cannot create the modules for either 2.6.6 or 2.6.7, The
> attempt to make the modules eventally barfs telling me that there is a
> missing file /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.7/include.linux/modversions.h
> and tells me to run make dep to creat it.

make-kpkg build the modules automatically for you and puts them into the
kernel package actually. I think running make (without any rule) also
built the modules, but not sure.