laptop istall fails

I've picked up an IBM 770x, and am attempting to get the latest sarge
netinstall working. The pcmcia adapter is a 3Com EtherLink III Series
Ethercards  3c562, which is supposed to be supported by the 3c589_cs
module.

Yet, when I get to the [Detect network hardware] screen, and I select
the 3c589_cs module, the screen flashes, and is sitting right where I
left it.

I've tried to get boot with the argument "linux eth0=3c589_cs", and the
same thing happens.

I've also tried the "linux26' to see if that would find it, and it does
not function either.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

--