Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany)

Paul Yeatman <pyeatman@ucsd.edu> writes:

> I now am convinced that the problem resides with the appearance that
> Flash accesses /dev/dsp directly creating a conflict anytime another
> application has already locked the dsp device first, such as esd.  The
> Mozilla wrapper that seems to offer a way around this doesn't appear to
> work for me.
>
> My current solution is to change the default behavior of esd from
> "auto_spawn" being set to off to being on and, as I'm using gnome,
> either disabling sound in gnome altogether or killing the esd process
> that is started once I log in.  This solution is satisfactory for
> the moment but took quite awhile to figure out.

Have you tried the '-as' option of esd?  I use 'esd -as 2' to require
esd to release /dev/dsp 2 seconds after it finishes, so other devices
can use it.  That allows me to use programs with both esd and /dev/dsp
output, but not at the same time.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org