Re: Xeon HT or not HT

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 01:33:50PM -0400, Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 05:10, nx13372 wrote:
> >> I'm using kernel 2.4.26-1-686-smp.
> >> I have a dual xeon box. If in the bios i enable the HT i'll get 4 cpus,
> >> if not i'll get 2 cpus.
> >> What is bettter?
>
> [snip]
>

> > Without hyperthreading you have 2 Things doing MANY MANY small and big
> > jobs. Sort of like having a 500HP motor on each your lawn mowers. Big,
> > clunky not AS flexible.
> >
> > With HyperThreading you 4 smaller things (each 1/2 the capacity of the
> > the nonHT processors) doing many many small and big jobs. Sort of like
> > having having a 240HP(with turbo boost to ~ 480HP if needed) motor on
> > each of your lawn mowers. 4 Smaller, powerful and yet more flexible to
> > do the job, the power is distributed based on need.
> >
> > I think the answer is clear.
>
> Is it? Does Linux 2.4 performs as good on a 4 CPU machine as it does on a
> 2 CPU one?

My understanding is that if you have multiple real cpus with HT, then
you should use a 2.6 kernel, since 2.4 assigns processes to the first
two "virtual cpus" before it moves on to subsequent real cpus.

Though maybe that has changed now.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a