Re: swapping master & slave HDs: what to change?

John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> wrote in message news:<2jQmN-1fC-7@gated-at.bofh.it>...

>> Grub is Grand

And I thought that "Grand Unified Bootloader" was hubristic!

Until recently I used automatically installed lilo or grub rather
indifferently, both as bootloaders and bootselectors. This way I could
have endless hours of fun looping between 3-4 different boot menus
referring to each other, without ever doing a full boot.

A couple of months back I converted to GAG as boot selector.
Installing it or backing it up to FD requires just seconds.  It is
strictly a boot selector - you have to have bootloaders on all
partitions you intend to boot from.  On the top of looping between
menus, I now also get nice icons that very visually remind me what the
heck I installed on /dev/hdxy (there are even icons with the SCO tree,
the hurd jumble, and the OpenBSD blowfish...) + I can change the
default boot in a few keystrokes, hide partitions, add passwords by
entry, and do a few other nice tricks.

As a result of your exhortation I just took the dusty GRUB manual out
of the document dump and put it on top of my nighttime reading pile.