Re: swapping master & slave HDs: what to change?

SpamHog wrote:

I have multiple Debian installs on 2 IDE HDs on the same channel.
I want to turn the SLAVE into MASTER & viceversa.
Here's my planned checklist - am I missing anything?

What do you hope to achieve?

For ease of changing things around, I keep a simple, self-installing
graphic boot _selector_ (GAG) in the MBR of /dev/hda, and I keep the
boot _loaders_ proper (lilo & grub), into each of the boot partitions.

For each installed system, I plan to:

1) change fstab file
Backup, swap all references to hdax and hdbx.

2) reinstall the bootloader
- Backup config/menu files.
- Change the config/menu files to reflect situation after the swap.
- Reinstall bootloader into the respective boot device.

I will then physically swap HDs, and use shorting settings for cable
select or swap master and slave.

Anything else?

I don't endorse _anything_ above.

You won't have a working LILO until _after_ your first successful reboot whereapon you must run lilo.

_I_'d replace lilo first,. except I'd not be running it:-)

Have a rescue CD handy.

--

Cheers
John