Re: importing files on CD

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:53:29 +0200
Matthias Czapla <dermatsch@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 02:35:40PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:49:10 -0400
> > Dougpol1 <Dougpol1@va.net> wrote:
> >
> > > HI Folks,
> > >     I am using Debian 3.0r2 Woody on a dual boot system along with
> > >
> > > windows. I am am new to Linux but have managed to partitioned and
> > > installed successfully. I need to bring over my files from windows
> > > by way of CD. In Gnome I've learned to mount them but don't
> > > understand how to import them into Home where I assume they need
> > > to be for me to continue working on them in  ABI word or another
> > > word processor. I know this has got to be simple but one way or
> > > another I have made a major project out of it.  Thanks in advance
> > > for any help you can give me.
> >
> > Hello Doug,
> >
> > Assuming the standard Debian mount point of /cdrom for the cdrom
> > drive, the following command should work.
> >
> > 'cp -a /cdrom/* ~/'
> >
> > (cp is the copy command. -a tells it to use the 'archive' options,
> > meaning copy all subdirectories and maintain file permissions.
> > /cdrom/* is where to copy from, and ~/ tells it to copy the files to
> > your home directory.)
>
> If the disc has been written on Windows the files will probably have
> those ugly execute permissions set. Wouldn't the -R option to cp be
> more suitable in this case?

True. In this case I guess he may not even want the owner of the files
preserved, depending on how the cd was written.

Thanks,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #35:
A truly stable environment would be a concrete basement with no Windows!
Computers are no different.
http://www.linux.org