Re: importing files on CD

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:49:10 -0400
Dougpol1 <Dougpol1@va.net> wrote:

> HI Folks,
>     I am using Debian 3.0r2 Woody on a dual boot system along with
> windows. I am am new to Linux but have managed to partitioned and
> installed successfully. I need to bring over my files from windows by
> way of CD. In Gnome I've learned to mount them but don't understand
> how to import them into Home where I assume they need to be for me to
> continue working on them in  ABI word or another word processor. I
> know this has got to be simple but one way or another I have made a
> major project out of it.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give
> me.

Hello Doug,

Assuming the standard Debian mount point of /cdrom for the cdrom drive,
the following command should work.

'cp -a /cdrom/* ~/'

(cp is the copy command. -a tells it to use the 'archive' options,
meaning copy all subdirectories and maintain file permissions. /cdrom/*
is where to copy from, and ~/ tells it to copy the files to your home
directory.)

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #64:
Windows:

32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written
by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Linux:

The ultimate windows patch. http://www.linux.org/