Re: /dev/dsp

Wayne Ward wrote:

Hi,
I have installed debian from (CD) Steve Hunger's
book "Debian GNU/Linux Bible" and I'm now
trying to get GNOME up and running. When
I enter the command to start GNOME i get
the error that "/dev/dsp No such device".
1) the 2.2 kernel is pretty old. It may not have support for your sound device. If you have network capability, you might want to upgrade to a 2.4 or even a 2.6 kernel.

I don't have a sound card installed.

Oh; then you can just ignore that message. When that message pops up, there should be (I think) a checkbox saying to not display the message anymore. Just click on that and go on with life.

--
Kent