Re: /dev/dsp

Wayne Ward wrote:

Hi,
I have installed debian from (CD) Steve Hunger's
book "Debian GNU/Linux Bible" and I'm now
trying to get GNOME up and running. When
I enter the command to start GNOME i get
the error that "/dev/dsp No such device".
This distribution is with potato and Linux 2.2r2. The book is copyrighted 2001.
From what I can make out is that this has
something to do with sound, which I don't
have.How can I fix this?
TIA
Wayne
Three things:

1) the 2.2 kernel is pretty old. It may not have support for your sound
device. If you have network capability, you might want to upgrade to a
2.4 or even a 2.6 kernel.

2) you need kernel support for your hardware (in this case your sound
system). This support can be compiled into the kernel, but more often
nowadays, it's "bolted onto" the kernel as a module. You should be able
to use the app "modconf" to search for a module that matches your
hardware, and to insert it into the kernel ("bolt it on", "plug it in").

3) your user also needs to have permissions to access the sound device.
This is normally done by adding that user to the "audio" group. Entering
"groups" will show you the groups you're in; entering (as root) the
"adduser wayneward audio" would add the user 'wayneward' to the audio
group; wayneward would then need to log out/log in to make the change
take affect.

--
Kent