Re: Is Linux Unix?

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:

> John L Fjellstad <john-debian@fjellstad.org> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if Linux can be considered Unix?
>
> It is a flavor of unix is general, if that's what you're asking.  You
> won't be at a complete loss on other unix systems.

Is there a semantic difference between being like something or a clone
of something, and being that thing in the English language?

I'm just thinking of the statement, GNU's Not Unix.
Does that mean that GNU/Linux is a OS with unix like functionality,
kinda like Windows with Service For Unix, or OS/2 with its POSIX layer,
or is GNU/Linux an unix.

Kinda like, Kleenex is both a brand of tissue and the generic name for
tissues.  Is the same true for unix?

--
John L. Fjellstad