Re: Is Linux Unix?

John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> writes:

> For starters, depends on what you mean by "linux." At its most basic,
> Linux is the kernel. More usually, people use the term to refer to a
> complete set of sofware such as might be found on your computer and
> mine.

I was thinking in terms of GNU/Linux (with emphasis on the GNU part,
when I think about it).

> I saw in a paper someplace the term "genetic unix" used to refer to
> descendants from the original Unix.
>
> Linux is not that, though it could contain some code that is descended
> from that. Some other OS operating systems (FreeBSD etc) are genetic
> linux.

You mean unix.  Didn't the *BSD people remove all AT&T code?

> There is a standard, POSIX, to which operating systems must comply in
> order to be considered Unix (non-TM). Linux aims to comply, but lacks
> any necessary certification.

I guess what I'm asking is, are those OSes that weren't using the
original AT&T code (Minix, GNU, I'm guessing the different BSDs after
the lawsuit and settlement) considered to be unix or a totally different
kind of OSes?

--
John L. Fjellstad