Re: Is Linux Unix?

John L Fjellstad wrote:

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:

John L Fjellstad <john-debian@fjellstad.org> writes:

I was wondering if Linux can be considered Unix?
It is a flavor of unix is general, if that's what you're asking.  You
won't be at a complete loss on other unix systems.

Is there a semantic difference between being like something or a clone
of something, and being that thing in the English language?
I'm just thinking of the statement, GNU's Not Unix.
Does that mean that GNU/Linux is a OS with unix like functionality,
kinda like Windows with Service For Unix, or OS/2 with its POSIX layer,
or is GNU/Linux an unix.

I don't think that Apache/Python/Gnu/Linux can in any sense be considered to _be_ unix, except that in general it's coded to the same standards.

Note that the much-awaited GNU operating system is still coming.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait