Re: Is Linux Unix?

John L Fjellstad wrote:

I was wondering if Linux can be considered Unix?

Yes, I know Open Group owns the trademark for UNIX, and you have to be
certified to be able to call yourself UNIX.  I also know that no
original code of UNIX was ever in Linux or GNU.
I guess what I'm asking is, has the "Unix" name become a generic term of
a family of OS, such that Linux can call itself Unix, or is Linux still
just Unix-like and merely a clone?

For starters, depends on what you mean by "linux." At its most basic, Linux is the kernel. More usually, people use the term to refer to a complete set of sofware such as might be found on your computer and mine.

I saw in a paper someplace the term "genetic unix" used to refer to descendants from the original Unix.

Linux is not that, though it could contain some code that is descended from that. Some other OS operating systems (FreeBSD etc) are genetic linux.

There is a standard, POSIX, to which operating systems must comply in order to be considered Unix (non-TM). Linux aims to comply, but lacks any necessary certification.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait