Re: Don't buy Sony (was: Re: sony vaio desktop)

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:59:40AM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> Am Di, den 20.07.2004 schrieb Matthias Czapla um 3:28:
>
> > Additionally I would suggest avoiding *any* product made by that
> > company. They actively try to reduce compatibility and are great
> > supporters of Digital-Restrictions-Management junk (e.g. Notebooks
> > only work with their own expensive RAM modules;
>
> Not true. My Sony Vaio Notebook works with a standard Kingston RAM
> module. It was less than 1/2 the price I would have paid for the
> "genuine Sony" module. If you need RAM, go to www.kingston.com and
> search for your notebook's product number.

But Sony doesn't tell you that and I believe they don't want you to
know. Their notebooks are (or at least were, don't know if it's
still true) well known for being picky about what modules they accept
while everyone else has managed to support nearly any standard DIMM.
I can hardly believe that this was by accident since everything they
do just shows so obviously what they aim at - ripping you off very
thoroughly.

Regards
Matthias