Re: wireless and kernel woes

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:06:39AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
|
| >On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:16:42PM -0700, dbarker@turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca
| >wrote:
| >|
| >| The situation: bought an Averatec notebook couple of weeks ago (AMD
| >| Athlon-M, 256K, builtint 10/100 and wireless, CDRW-DVD combo, etc)
| >
| >You don't say what wireless adapter this is or what driver you need.
| >I recommend a PCI or PCMCIA (not USB, yet) PrismGT-based adapter.
| >They use the prism54 driver, which is included in the kernel.  I
| >wasn't able to get the first two adapters I bought to work, but the
| >third (a PrismGT) worked effortlessly.
| >

| Actually _buying_ a prism54 card can be a challenge. I have a (PCI)
| SCMC2802W card that does _bot_ work, but the original does  (and rates
| well). Similarly for dlink cards - I heard there are six different
| versions of one dlink card.

I see what you mean.  Vendors using the same model number for
not-even-close products is a royal pain.  That practice ought to be
outlawed.

The Xterasys XN-2522g is a good one.  It is available for $29 (USD) on
ebay with free shipping (maybe US-only).

--
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.