wireless and kernel woes

The situation: bought an Averatec notebook couple of weeks ago (AMD
Athlon-M, 256K, builtint 10/100 and wireless, CDRW-DVD combo, etc)

Installed sarge using the latest beta of the installer. A few hiccups
(particularly with X not being configured properly and KDE not
installed at all) but everything now up and nicely running.

Except wireless. OK, expected this to be trickier. So.....

	install ndis-wrappers package. Doesn't load as built against
	wrong kernel (I installed the kernel-2.6.6-1-k7 package, so of
	course...)

	try various "tricks" involving linking directories. None works.

	Bite the bullet and decide to rebuild kernel. Two problems:
	firstly the attempt to make_kpkg modules_image fails:
	/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.6/include/linux/modversion.h does not exist!
	To fix, run 'make dep' in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.6/

	Configuration failed

	But running that make dep produces:

	***Warning make dep is unnecessary now

	Although the kernel package installs, the kernel won't boot (I suspect
	because the IDE stuff is compiled as a module and...)

So, does anyone have any suggestions for how to get out of this
Catch-22?

Thanks

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |