Re: /dev/dsp

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:04:56PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Wayne Ward wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I have installed debian from (CD) Steve Hunger's
> >book "Debian GNU/Linux Bible" and I'm now
> >trying to get GNOME up and running. When
> >I enter the command to start GNOME i get
> >the error that "/dev/dsp No such device".

There is no sound card detected.

> >This distribution is with potato and
> >Linux 2.2r2. The book is copyrighted 2001.

This is about as old as moses I believe. Current stable is 3.0r2 and is
about two years old and hopefully the next stable will be comming out
soon. See if you can get newer cds from somewhere, it will be worth
your while.

It would also mean that the version of gnome there is probably the same
version that was run by the Columbus ;-)

Everything has come a very long way since then.

> >>From what I can make out is that this has
> >something to do with sound, which I don't
> >have.How can I fix this?

Check about the enlightment sound daemon or something like that, you
can probably remove it and it may solve your problem. Where is this
error appearing and how is it causing problems (is it just an annoying
error or is it not running?)