Re: wireless and kernel woes

dbarker@turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca said:

> The situation: bought an Averatec notebook couple of weeks ago (AMD
> Athlon-M, 256K, builtint 10/100 and wireless, CDRW-DVD combo, etc)

Which wireless card is this? `lspci` will probably help...

> 	install ndis-wrappers package. Doesn't load as built against
> 	wrong kernel (I installed the kernel-2.6.6-1-k7 package, so of
> 	course...)

I use the upstream source from http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ and
rebuild it every time I have a new kernel (it only takes a few seconds to
build on my system).

> 	Bite the bullet and decide to rebuild kernel. Two problems:
> 	firstly the attempt to make_kpkg modules_image fails:
> 	/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.6/include/linux/modversion.h does not
>       exist!

I'd suggest sticking to the debian kernels and just build the ndiswrapper.
This way you can still take advantage of security updates, etc. But if you
are determined to go with a custom kernel... The error basically means
that you have the kernel source, but it hasn't been configured yet. You
need to run `make config`, `make menuconfig`, `make oldconfig`, or `make
xconfig` (i.e. `cd <kernel source> ; cp /boot/config-<current running
kernel's config> . ; make oldconfig`) and THEN run `make-kpkg ...`

HTH,
Ron