Re: xfree4.3.0 with cirrus GD5436 video card

Chris Bannister wrote:

startx from console. I'm not running a session manager.
I get the the gray screen with the cursor in the middle then nothing. I have to CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get out.

That means that X is starting just fine; you just don't have any X clients running, particularly a window manager. "apt-get install icewm" will probably fix it, or you might have to edit/create ~/.xinitrc and add the line "icewm".

--
Kent