apm problems after sid upgrade

I'm running sid on an IBM T41 ThinkPad.  Everything was working fine
until I decided to do an 'apt-get upgrade' a few days ago.  It seemed
to go OK, but now when I try to resume after suspend, the system is
frozen; the only thing I can do is power down.

Waking up from standby mode (instead of suspend) seems to work except
that the time gets set back several hours.

I didn't change the kernel.  I don't think apmd was upgraded.  Before
upgrading I pinned the packages that apt-listbugs said had bugs that
sounded like they mattered.

Can anyone suggest what the upgrade could have changed that would
cause apm to stop working?

There were some other mysteries after the upgrade which may or may not
be related to the apm problem:

- Before the upgrade, I was using OSS sound drivers the i810_audio
module.  After the upgrade, something is causing the ALSA modules to
be loaded (snd-intel8x0 and several other snd-* modules), which don't
work unless also I manually load the ALSA OSS-emulation modules
(snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss).  Meanwhile, during boot-up, there are
multiple errors from trying to load i810_audio, which apparently
conflicts with the ALSA modules.

What could be causing these ALSA modules to load?  This didn't happen
before the upgrade.  I can't find mention of the snd-* modules in
/etc/modules.conf or /etc/init.d or anywhere else I've looked.

- I also see repeated error messages during boot-up for failed
attempts to load the following two modules:

        radeonfb
        hw_random

As far as I can tell this isn't causing problems (unless these are
somehow connected with my apm problem) aside from making the boot
sequence take longer.  But I do wonder what's causing the kernel to
try to load them.  These are also not mentioned in /etc/modules.conf
or /etc/modules.  I don't think this was happening before the upgrade,
but I'm not certain.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to find out why these modules
are trying to be loaded.

Thanks.

-David
dzpost@dedekind.net