Re: systemwide umask definition?

I have a similar experience with umask

in /etc/profile I have a line umask 0002 # to give owner and group rw access.

in /etc/login.defs I have the same (why capitals?)
#       UMASK           Default "umask" value.
UMASK           0002

and nothing in .bash_profile, but it still comes up 0022 when I check it with #umask

anyone help?

thanks
rich