apt-get dist-upgrade and /dev/input/mice

Using Sarge and regularly apt-get updating and upgrading I ignored the
uninstalled gnome and kde, using blackbox wm, mutt and slrn. Thought I
would try to fix the box before migrating to unstable.

apt-get upgrade followed by apt-get dist-upgrade. Box is now borked.
No mouse at log-in time, ^/Alt/F1 to command line. All seems well on
dmesg, but XF86config error messages show that /dev/input/mice does
not exist ... ls -l shows it present (and mouse0,1 and 2) but unable
to be opened by most/less or xemacs.

dpkg --configure --pending shows unmet dependencies. Reading man dpkg
and man dpkg-reconfigure .... no luck with the choices there.
aptitude, dselect both complain of the dependencies and stop there,
just like dpkg (sorry, unable to paste the output, and am on the XP
part of my system now)

dpkg --configure --pending shows a slew of unmet dependencies: current
versions are newer than the required dependencies, as you would
expect.

1. How can I continue with the upgrade, ignoring these dependencies?
Large numbers of updates remain unconfigured, and I cannot get the
system to ignore the problems and pass onto the rest.
2. There is a dangerously unstable package - imhangul -
half-installed. I am unable to install (as suggested by dpkg) nor can
I remove. Which command can be tried? I have tried dpkg variants of
-i, --ignore-depends, --reconfigure, --configure --pending, and
apt-get remove
3. Should I forget the Srage version, and simply reconfigure the
apt,sources for unstable, and dist-upgrade using aptitude from that?

Brian