GNOME 2.2 and NFS locking problem

Hi!

After upgrading a diskless client (root fs mounted via NFS) to the GNOME
2.2 backport packages, I get the following error message when logging in
into X:

  "Could not lock the file "/nethome/wile/.gconf-test-locking-file"; this
  indicates that there may be a problem with your operating system
  configuration. If you have an NFS-mounted home directory, either the
  client or the server may be set up incorrectly. See the rpc.statd and
  rpc.lockd documentation. A common cause of this error is that the
  "nfslock" service has been disabled.The error was "No locks available"
  (errno = 37)"

Via google, I found hints that switching the NFS server from
nfs-user-server to nfs-kernel-server solves the problem, but this didn't
fix it (no change).

Does anyone have a solution for me?

Here is my configuration:

Server:
  Debian 3.0 (woody)
  Kernel 2.4.23
  nfs-kernel-server pkg version 1:1.0-2woody1
  /etc/exports:
     /clients        acme(rw,no_root_squash)
  "ps axf|grep lock" says:
     707 ?        SW     0:00 [lockd]

Client:
  Debian 3.0 (woody)
  Kernel 2.4.16
  GNOME 2.2 backport from
   ftp.acc.umu.se::mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody/
  (also nfs-kernel-server pkg version 1:1.0-2woody1, should not matter)
  "mount" says:
     monet:/clients/10.1.1.6 on / type nfs (rw)
  "ps axf|grep lock" says:
      99 ?        SW     0:00 [lockd]

What I already tried:
- switching from nfs-user-server to nfs-kernel-server
- specifying "lock" option when mounting the home dir
- symlinking .gconf* directories to a ramdrive

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz