Re: 2.6.7 questions

Bradley Alexander <storm@tux.org> writes:

> It appears that part of the problem is that for some reason (which hopefully
> someone can straighten out for me, modules don't seem to be autoloading. Did
> I forget to install something? Things work well under 2.4, I just tried to
> bring up an encrypted loopback filesystem and had to manually modprobe loop
> and cryptoloop.
>> and similar stuff in /var/log/messages and /var/log/kern.log.

The kernel developers have moved away from 'load module at use',
like we had in the 2.4 series.  They're moving to a 'load module at
hardware detection' instead.  Meaning, you use hotplug which loads your
usb modules when you plug in a usb device for instance.

That also means that hardware that doesn't get plugged in (like serial,
parallell ports, cd/dvd devices, floppy etc), needs to have their
modules loaded at all time.

Unless you still want to use devfs.

--
John L. Fjellstad