Re: [Silvan] Re: Console font change on startup - breaks laptop

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 03:54 am, Chris wrote:

> >Sounds like you're booting into a framebuffer mode that your desktop can
> > cope with and your laptop cannot.
>
> Possible - but then the laptop would never manage the change would it
> not? It does manage it after a couple of reboots or so. I get the
> feeling that it's just dodgy rather than fully non-supported.

Fair enough.  It's never the easy thing that first jumps to mind, is it?  :)

> When the console font changes. It changes from standard 80x25 to
> something else (not sure what - quite a lot smaller
> characters). Before this started happening the switch to gdm was

Ohhhh.  While you're sitting there watching it, the console actually changes
video modes/fonts/whatever in the middle of booting up, before GDM starts?

Interesting.  That's a new one on me.  I might be able to help you zero in on
it because it seems likely whatever thing you're running that's causing that
will be something I've never heard of.  :)

It's really not a half bad idea.  If you can get the box that far, try posting
the results of a ls -1 /etc/rc2.d (that was dash one, so it's easier to see
them in order) and I'll see if anything jumps out at me.  The only things I
see in my own config that seem like they could possibly be contenders for
something like this are xfs and xprint.  Nothing else between S10sklogd and
S99kdm looks remotely likely to do anything to the console, nor anything
graphical.

Other than that, about all I can think of is to try disabling things one by
one until you discover the culprit.  GDM is almost certainly also S99, so
anything ahead of that is suspect.

On a whim, if you're running gpm, try getting rid of it first.  I'm not sure
why I suspect gpm, but if you are...

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/