Re: [Silvan] Re: Console font change on startup - breaks laptop

    >> When the console font changes. It changes from standard 80x25
    >> to something else (not sure what - quite a lot smaller
    >> characters). Before this started happening the switch to gdm
    >> was

    Silvan> Ohhhh.  While you're sitting there watching it, the
    Silvan> console actually changes video modes/fonts/whatever in the
    Silvan> middle of booting up, before GDM starts?

Well - yes on the desktop. On the laptop it just goes blank :-) At
least most of the time.

    Silvan> Interesting.  That's a new one on me.  I might be able to
    Silvan> help you zero in on it because it seems likely whatever
    Silvan> thing you're running that's causing that will be something
    Silvan> I've never heard of.  :)

Nor me - this started just after an apt-get upgrade - so I have no
idea what package it's from.

    Silvan> It's really not a half bad idea.  If you can get the box
    Silvan> that far, try posting the results of a ls -1 /etc/rc2.d
    Silvan> (that was dash one, so it's easier to see them in order)
    Silvan> and I'll see if anything jumps out at me.  The only things
    Silvan> I see in my own config that seem like they could possibly
    Silvan> be contenders for something like this are xfs and xprint.
    Silvan> Nothing else between S10sklogd and S99kdm looks remotely
    Silvan> likely to do anything to the console, nor anything
    Silvan> graphical.

K11anacron
S10sysklogd
S11klogd
S14ppp
S18portmap
S19slapd
S20acpid
S20alsa
S20apmd
S20binfmt-support
S20cupsys
S20dbus-1
S20exim
S20fam
S20inetd
S20irda
S20lisa
S20lpd
S20lprng
S20makedev
S20mysql
S20nethack-common
S20nfs-kernel-server
S20nullmailer
S20pcmcia
S20samba
S20sendmail
S20ssh
S20timidity
S20xfs
S20xpilots
S20xprint
S21aumix
S21nfs-common
S25bluez-utils
S35am-utils
S80noflushd
S89anacron
S89atd
S89cron
S90vmware
S91apache
S99gdm
S99kdm
S99rmnologin
S99stop-bootlogd
S99xdm

Plus /etc/rcS.d

README
S01devfsd
S02mkvmnet
S02mountvirtfs
S05bootlogd
S05initrd-tools.sh
S05keymap.sh
S10checkroot.sh
S18hwclockfirst.sh
S20modutils
S25libdevmapper1.00
S30checkfs.sh
S30etc-setserial
S30procps.sh
S35mountall.sh
S36mountvirtfs
S38pppd-dns
S39dns-clean
S39ifupdown
S40hostname.sh
S40hotplug
S40iptables
S40netenv
S40networking
S43portmap
S45mountnfs.sh
S46setserial
S48console-screen.sh
S50hwclock.sh
S51ntpdate
S55bootmisc.sh
S55urandom
S60svgatextmode
S70nviboot
S70screen-cleanup
S70xfree86-common
S75sudo

And after looking at that list I suspect S60svgatextmode :-) Will
remove it and see if it helps :-)

    Silvan> On a whim, if you're running gpm, try getting rid of it
    Silvan> first.  I'm not sure why I suspect gpm, but if you are...

Happens if I boot to kdm, xdm etc.

--
Chris