LILO 010101 error

I am trying to install the bare minimum of woody bf2.4.
I have the following partitions on my hard drive:
hda1 windows - 80GB - NTFS
hdc1 /boot   - 25MB - ext3
hdc2 /home   - 05GB - ext3
hdc3 /       - 25GB - ext3
hdc4 /swap   - rest of hd

I have chosen to place lilo on hdc.
I configured my BIOS to boot off of hdc and not hda.
When I reboot I get message "L 01 01 01 ...". I looked through lilo documentation
(http://www.ipcop.org/1.3.0/en/install/html/LILO-errors.html) and it says:
"?Illegal command?. This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may indicated an attempt to
access a disk which is not supported by the BIOS."
I used a floppy disk to boot and ran lilo as root. I rebooted. Then I got the message:
"L 80 80 80..." documentation says:
"?Disk timeout?. The disk or the drive isn't ready. Either the media is bad or the disk
isn't spinning. If you're booting from a floppy, you might not have closed the drive door.
Otherwise, trying to boot again might help."
I once again booted using a floppy. I changed line boot=/dev/hdc1 to boot=/dev/hdc. ran
lilo as root, and rebooted. Then I got the message:
"L 40 40 40 40..." documentation says:
"?Seek failure?. This might be a media problem. Try booting again."

Before choosing to install woody I had a variant of Knoppix called Kurumin installed on my
hard drive. Kurumin is based on Debian and it worked just fine. When I had Kurumin
installed I had one big / partition taking up the whole hdc drive.

Can anyone help me? I was thinking of maybe reinstalling Kurumin and checking to see if it
works with all the different partitions I created or maybe placing lilo on hda. I really
wanted to keep lilo on hdc though.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

-daniel