Re: LILO 010101 error

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:11:43 -0300 (BRST)
"Daniel Figueira" <danielf@mandic.com.br> wrote:

> I am trying to install the bare minimum of woody bf2.4.
> I have the following partitions on my hard drive:
> hda1 windows - 80GB - NTFS
> hdc1 /boot   - 25MB - ext3
> hdc2 /home   - 05GB - ext3
> hdc3 /       - 25GB - ext3
> hdc4 /swap   - rest of hd
>
> I have chosen to place lilo on hdc.
> I configured my BIOS to boot off of hdc and not hda.
> When I reboot I get message "L 01 01 01 ...". I looked through lilo
> documentation(http://www.ipcop.org/1.3.0/en/install/html/LILO-errors.
> html) and it says:"_Illegal command_. This shouldn't happen, but if it
> does, it may indicated an attempt to access a disk which is not
> supported by the BIOS." I used a floppy disk to boot and ran lilo as
> root. I rebooted. Then I got the message:"L 80 80 80..." documentation
> says:"_Disk timeout_. The disk or the drive isn't ready. Either the
> media is bad or the disk isn't spinning. If you're booting from a
> floppy, you might not have closed the drive door. Otherwise, trying to
> boot again might help." I once again booted using a floppy. I changed
> line boot=/dev/hdc1 to boot=/dev/hdc. ran lilo as root, and rebooted.
> Then I got the message:"L 40 40 40 40..." documentation says:
> "_Seek failure_. This might be a media problem. Try booting again."
>
> Before choosing to install woody I had a variant of Knoppix called
> Kurumin installed on my hard drive. Kurumin is based on Debian and it
> worked just fine. When I had Kurumin installed I had one big /
> partition taking up the whole hdc drive.
<snip>

Try adding/uncommenting the following two lines in your /etc/lilo.conf
file:

disk=/dev/hdc
	bios=0x80

You will need to boot from a boot disk to do this, then mount at least
your / and /boot partitions. Make sure your /boot partition is mounted
in the boot directory on your / partition, not just any directory. After
you make the changes run"lilo-r mount/point/for/hdc_root".

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #28:
Linux. When you want to get there today!