Re: setup euro symbol problems

Juha Siltala wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:44:51PM +0200, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> >
> > I'm having some trouble getting the euro symbol, mainly finding documentation
> > about this issue actually. I've installed euro-support and according to this
> > docu, for Xfree 4.1 (I have debian/testing 4.3.0), it's all a matter of
> > configuring /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 right. But how, it doesn't say.
>
> There is an Euro-HOWTO.

Yes, that's the one in euro-support and reading 3.4.1.1: 'Xfree in Debian 3.0'
(assuming this holds for XFree > 4.1 too) made me think the xmodmap method
is deprecated.
It also says that choosing a layout in the euro-zone, makes is work correctly.
This is not the case for nl btw., because it hasn't got a EuroSign entry.
However choosing gb, it works indeed (but of course my keyboard layout is
pc104 us keys so ..)

> > The fonts are not the problem, euro-test does display an euro symbol for
> > utf8 and redirecting this to a file and opening it with Kate works fine.
>
> There are several packages: euro-support, euro-support-console, and
> euro-support-x. Install them. Set the locale. I have fi_FI@euro. Install
> the "transcoded" fonts for X.

Like mentioned, it's not a font problem. Also these fonts in euro-support-x
are 75dpi/100dpi ones and I only use type1/truetype these days. My locale is
en_US.UTF-8 (LANG) and nl_NL.UTF-8@euro (LC_MESSAGES).

> > So what's the magic XF86Config-4 config line that I fail to detect?

Anyway, I was wondering this afternoon why the pc104euro variant of us didn't
work. Turned out that it's not /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us but
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/us file that is read.
Comparing why gb works and not us or nl, I've added to
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/us:
  xkb_symbols "euro" {
      include "pc/us(basic)"

      key <AD03>  { [       e,        E,   EuroSign,        cent ] };
      key <AB03>  { [       c,        C,       cent,   copyright ] };

      include "level3(ralt_switch_multikey)"
  };
and my section for the keyboard is (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4)
   Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
         Driver          "keyboard"
         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
         Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
         Option          "XkbVariant"    "euro"
         Option          "XkbOptions"    "compose:menu"
   EndSection

Pffeew lot of work, but it works and I've a compose key too (dead keys,
like in us_intl, is a no-go for me as I do mostly C++ development).
Any ideas how to shortcut this are welcome of course..

Kindly regards,

Koos Vriezen