setup euro symbol problems

I hope this isn't posted twice ..

----- Forwarded message from Koos Vriezen <koos.vriezen@xs4all.nl> -----

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:03:33 +0200
From: Koos Vriezen <koos.vriezen@xs4all.nl>
To: debian-user@debian.org
Subject: setup euro symbol problems

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting the euro symbol, mainly finding documentation
about this issue actually. I've installed euro-support and according to this
docu, for Xfree 4.1 (I have debian/testing 4.3.0), it's all a matter of
configuring /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 right. But how, it doesn't say.
I've tried changing the XkbLayout from us to us_intl, but that didn't
help (right Alt key wasn't special). Although it did have an effect on the
dead keys. Changing it to nl worked somehow (still no euro, but atleast some
other keys with this AltGr key).
But I have no nl keyboard, so all kinds of special char. are mapped wrongly.

The fonts are not the problem, euro-test does display an euro symbol for utf8
redirecting this to a file and opening it with Kate works fine.

It's just how to map AltGr e or AltGr 5 to enter this symbol.

FWIW, both /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us_intl and /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/nl have this
entry:
     key <AE05> {        [         5,    percent         ],
                        [   EuroSign                    ]       };

So what's the magic XF86Config-4 config line that I fail to detect? (this
is the keyboard settings now:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option         "XkbLayout"     "us_intl"
EndSection
)

Kindly regards,

Koos Vriezen