Re: starting up

Well, almost  :)

The line in 70debconf should be

APT::Cache-Limit 16777216;

That's with a space instead of 'equals', and terminated with a semicolon - otherwise apt-get complains of junk in it's configuration file.

But that got me another step forward - I'm writing this in Mozilla with an upgraded XFree86 - 4.3.0, and everything else that goes with it....

EXCEPT - I lost kdm along the way - debconf just ripped it out, along with all the neat programs that go with it, like Konqueror, Kwrite, - all the Ks. Has it been dropped from the unstable versions? It seems that I still have kde, but I'm not sure, as I chose xdm for the desktop manager, and it's not offering me kde. The Choose a Desktop Manager dialog only offered me the choice of gdm and xdm, otherwise I'ld have picked kdm.

But onward and upward! Now to reconfigure xserver-xfree86, and see if we can use Intel i810 drivers instead of vesa at 768x432, or something outlandish.....

Thanks for the help
Stephen Cradock