Re: Using dd to copy a cd. Accuracy of the obtained image.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 03:10:50PM -0400, * Tong* wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:55:00 -0400, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have anything to add to this (pointers, howtos, etc)? ...
>
> You may have known, the normal tool is cdrdao.
>
> # to make a bin/cue image
> cdrdao read-cd --device $CDR_DEVICE --datafile $iname.bin $iname.toc

This technique I know for vcds and svcds, but, for what else?, for what
kind of other CDs does it apply?
In other words, it seems that some times dd works, some times it
doesn't. Bob Parker in another message in this thread mentioned that
you need to know the number of sectors. However, some times (for
example, in the case of a vcd) mounting + df will not report the real
size. It may happen that some other format will generat the same kind
of mistake.
A few years ago when I started using debian (slink) dd was said to be
the tool for that, But now it seems that there is no universal tool
that will acomplish the job. If you know the type of Cd that you have,
you may know then the command that you need, but if the CD itself is
unknown, the you are more less lost.