Using dd to copy a cd. Accuracy of the obtained image.

I have encountered different problems when trying to copy CDs in
/dev/hd? to an image in the hard disk. Some times a whole 650 mb
becomes just 500 kb. I've been doing some reading and googling, and
among other things found the thread that starts with the message
There are several interesting remarks about the use of read-cd, dd,
etc. There seems to be a general consensus gathered in
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s9.3.7
by Osamu.
Does anyone have anything to add to this (pointers, howtos, etc)? It
looks to me as if it could be written and said more about this topic,
and I am sure that Osamu will be happy with more material to include
in the reference, and that all will benefit from the discussion.

AR